Alfred, one of my favourite Mac apps, has been updated to version 2. If you have been waiting for it to be updated in the app store, be warned it’s only available through the Alfred website (see also Alfred and the App Store, and Alfred and the future of OS X).
There are some good workflows available for version 2 already. They are a crazy blend of catnip, napalm, and rocket fuel. You need to buy the Powerpack before you can use workflows, but given the functionality boost this brings, it’s well worth it.
Some particularly delightful workflows include:
- Open with Sublime Text 2.
- Compare Finder Items in Kaleidoscope (Kaleidoscope is an awesome diff/merge app).
- Remove Duplicate Contextual Menu Items: it’s funny and sad that this is even a thing. Finder “Open with” is a persistent annoyance with OS X.
- Dial with your iPhone from Alfred. Works with (and requires) Prowl and Growl.
- Top processes based on memory or cpu usage (see top workflow on github).
- SSH with smart hostname autocomplete (see usage instructions; see how to set iterm2 as the default SSH handler).